Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

No hutbagging - but a bush bash anyone?

Last post 23-05-2007, 10:23 PM by Kieran. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  21-05-2007, 11:10 PM 1140

No hutbagging - but a bush bash anyone?

Hey all,
    for a number of reasons (hazel being away, me being busy, etc) hut bagging won't actually be happening this weekend.

So instead I was wondering if anyone would be keen to go on a real good mission somewhere and brush up on those navigation and bush bashing skills? It'll be a great chance get out and about in the hills before the epic 8 day trip to Kahurangi, and also good practice for those who might be leading trips in the future (or want to get into it).

Anyway come along to the meeting tomorrow night and I'll hatch a plan depending on interest - I can only make it for a day on Sunday (or possibly overnight saturday) but theres no reason why we can't have a full weekend trip going and meet up somewhere. Anyway let me know if your keen and we'll sort something out probably in the rimutakas or southern tararuas - and warning, it mite be a little mad! :)

See yous tomorrow!

PS if people are still keen for the whole hutbagging idea we can reschedule it for a bit later in the year - it will take a fair bit of organisation and a lot of keeness from people to work, so let me or hazel know if your still keen for it to happen. If you don't know what hutbagging is its basically trying to get groups going to every hut in the tararuas in one weekend (all 50 something) and get our logo in every hut book!

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
  •  22-05-2007, 12:23 PM 1143 in reply to 1140

Re: No hutbagging - but a bush bash anyone?

After tonights slide show on tramping in wilderness areas you will all be amping for bush bashing!  7.30 tonight, two trips Hooker-Landsborough and Olivine wilderness areas, don't miss it.

oh and I am VERY keen for hut bagging Kieran, VERY VERY keen.  The family will be VERY displeased if you and Hazel don't run it this year.  Don't muck with the family.....

Richie
  •  22-05-2007, 1:09 PM 1144 in reply to 1143

I'm also keen. Could turn it into a hut bagging and pole burning weekend?
  •  23-05-2007, 10:23 PM 1183 in reply to 1140

Ok looks like the current plan is to head away round 2ish on Saturday afternoon and go for a bash around in the bush up on Maymorn ridge - this could involve some tricky navigation (7-8 major bearing shifts on a fairly flat, featureless bush covered ridge, with gorges on each side) so should be loads of fun!

Its quite close to Wellington but will involve parking one car at Kaitoke waterworks and then cruising up to Akatarawa camp - hopefully we'll be able to leave the other car here and head up a stream to Renata Hut for saturday nite. Then on sunday the fun will begin, with some good bush bashing and maybe an 'accidental detour' into the western hut river to practice those river-crossing/pack-floaating skills (mite pay to pick up a cheap dry bag from bivouac for the sleeping bags and al...).

Will be a real fun mission anyway, and shouldn't actually be that physically challenging - just a great chance to practice your bush skills!

Currently have keen: Sarah Browne, Emilio (+ friend?), Guy, Me, Alyn and maybe Jess. Let me know if theres anyone else out there keen for some punishment (i mean nice relaxing tramping)!

Will email some more details tomorrow - cheers

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
View as RSS news feed in XML